Friday, September 18, 2015

This could be addicting!

Sounds a bit like fantasy football mixed with a hedge fund. The title of this blog caught my eye. Yes, People are Placing Bets on Politics. Here's How.  appeared on NPR's webpage and it describes this intriguing story about a guy, John Phillips who started this website where you can gamble and place bets on a wide variety of political and financial situations. Described as a simple "yes" or "no" platform. Well, curiosity got the better of me and now I have a Predictit account-UGH and one of those emoji faces.
I stopped myself before loading any money onto the site and will return once I've completed this...just incase I become engrossed.
The article even questioned the legality, but so far permission has been given by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission with restrictions and limits to the total trade amount. Appears the University of New Zealand is studying its technology and using the information for research.
Go figure the highest winner on the site is a 19 year old. Maybe this will encourage more younger people to stay up on current affairs political and financial. Gives me much hope for our future and I look forward to showing my kids the site as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment